Media will tour the new Brickell Substation – enclosed in an architecturally significant façade – and view the latest technology used to provide power to a growing Miami-Dade County
**Video and Photo Opportunities Available**
(Black PR Wire) WHAT: Media are invited as Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) employees and guests formally open and tour the new FPL Brickell Substation located at the company’s Miami Central Service Center. The substation, which is the largest enclosed substation in FPL’s system, has the capacity to provide power tothousands of customers, including downtown Miami’s businesses and attractions. The substation’s enclosure, a partnership with FPL and the city of Miami, beautifies the area and complements the city’s fast-changing skyline and world-class culture.
Media can tour the newtwo-story substation, which is equipped with state-of-the-art features. The tour will also include a demonstration of the technology the company uses – such as drones and robots – to improve reliable power to customers and strengthen the energy grid.
- FPL’s largest enclosed substation wrapped with an eye-catching façade.
- Demonstrations of how innovative technology is used by the company to provide reliable power to customers and make the energy grid stronger, smarter and more resilient.
- Mobile Command Center,whichcan be deployed to the hardest hit areas after a severe weather event and equipped with the same technology as the company’s Command Center in Palm Beach County.
WHEN: Thursday, April 19 at 9:30 a.m.
WHERE: FPL Miami Service Center - 122 Southwest Third Street, Miami, 33130
WHO: Interviews will be available with:
- FPL President and CEO Eric Silagy
- FPL Senior Vice President of Power Delivery Manny Miranda
- FPL staff describing the advanced substation’s equipment and the company’s partnership with the city of Miami on its construction
- FPL staff demonstrating the company’s use of technology, including drones and a substation robot
WHY: Since 2006, FPL has invested more than $3 billion to make the energy grid stronger, smarter and more storm-resilient. FPL continues to build one of the most reliable and smartest energy grids in the country. This includes installingmore than 5 million smart meters for residential and business customers, and more than 90,000 smart grid devices using cutting-edge technologies that help reduce the number of outages and restore service faster when outages occur.
Substations are play a critical role in providing power to thousands of residential and business customers. FPL operates more than 600 substations in the 35 counties the company serves. The Brickell Substation includes the latest technology, including flood detection monitors and devices that allow engineers to remotely monitor the facility.
ATTENTION MEDIA: Please confirm your attendance no later than noon on Tuesday, April 17. Attendees must have a government-issued ID for entry. Assignment editors must contact Richard Gibbs at 561-315-9087 to ensure clearance.
Please make sure you dress appropriately. Closed-toe shoes and long-sleeved shirts required. Part of the event will take place outdoors and there is limited shade. Please bring sunscreen and any other sun protection.