For press inquiries, contact Alex Hill at 313-213-2149
For more information on the "Saluting Our Culture" awards series,
contact Sheila Eldridge at 201-887-5100
Gospel ambassador Dr. Bobby Jones, jazz pianist Patrice Rushen, renowned songstress Darlene Love, director Bille Woodruff, choreographer Jamal Josef and celebrity stylist June Ambrose to be honored for Black Music Month
(Black PR Wire) WASHINGTON- To kick off Black Music Month, Café Mocha, the #1 nationally syndicated radio show for 'women of color,' presents the Salute THEM Awards 'soundtrack of our lives' broadcasting Sunday, June 6 at 10:00 P.M ET on BNC.TV from the new National Museum of African American Music (NMAAM) in Nashville. The awards event, sponsored by AARP and Toyota with musical alliances NMAAM, Essence Festival and Living Legends Foundation, will be co-hosted by Café Mocha Gracie Award Winners Loni Love, Yo-Yo and "Ain't Too Proud" Broadway star Saint Aubyn.
The Salute THEM Awards is the second in a unique, "Saluting Our Culture," awards series that recognizes the indelible impact of those who serve as a catalyst for change through their artistry. The awards will be the first-ever to take attendees on a historical journey of Black music curated from the National Museum of African American Music. In 1979, President Jimmy Carter decreed June as "Black Music Month" in recognition of Black Music's remarkable contributions to American culture.
2021 Salute THEM Honorees:
- Sly Stone, musician, songwriter and record producer, Legend Award
- June Ambrose, award-winning creative director, stylist, costume designer, and entrepreneur, Woman of Style Award
- Jamal Josef, celebrity choreographer and author, Champion for Children Award
- Earth, Wind & Fire, 6x Grammy Award-winning male group, Creating the Legacy Award
- Bille Woodruff, award-winning music video and film director, Director's Award
- Dr. Bobby Jones, singer, TV host and "Ambassador of Gospel Music", Spirit Award
- Patrice Rushen, Grammy Award-nominated jazz pianist and producer, Trailblazer Award
- Ludacris, 3x Grammy Award-winning hip hop artist, actor and philanthropist, Game Changer Award
- Darlene Love, legendary songstress, Soul Solidarity Award
This year's tribute performers include 2021 ACM Awards new male artist of the year Jimmie Allen, multi-Stellar Award nominee and GMA Dove Award winner Maranda Curtis; and multi-GRAMMY nominated songwriting and production duo Louis York.
Presented by Toyota North America and AARP, the Salute THEM Awards honors the phenomenal contributions of Black creatives. Through a longstanding collaboration with AARP, Café Mocha is proud to bring together the National Museum of African American Music and Salute THEM Awards, as they "Celebrate Black Joy" in music.
The Salute THEM Awards benefits the Mocha Cares Foundation to support housing and services to combat homelessness and domestic violence through mentorship programs.
The awards will broadcast Sunday, June 6 on BNC.TV at 10PM EST and via www.SaluteTHEMAwards.com across all Café Mocha network's social media platforms @cafemocharadio at 7PM EST. To register for a special gift, visit www.SaluteTHEMAwards.com.